As of April 2018, your employer has to contribute a minimum amount equivalent to 2% of your salary to your pension pot and you have to contribute 2.4%. After next April this rises to 3% and 4%. That is a total equivalent to 7% of your salary before tax going into your pension each year. 

You can choose to ‘opt-out’ of this scheme but by doing so you are turning down free money from your employer and will miss out on income tax relief. It’s not a good idea. 

Related article: Pension Auto-Enrolment - What's it All About?

Share This Answer

You May Also Like


Saving vs Investing?
Use our tool to find the right balance for you.


Are You Ready to Invest?

Sign-up for even more money tips and the top trending finance news delivered straight to your inbox

I agree to Moxi Privacy Policy