Make an offer, pay the money and you're done - if only it were that easy! Here are 5 smart tips from Jane King to help you prepare for buying your first home:
1. See your Mortgage Adviser at least three months before you plan to purchase so that you look at affordability and budget for a mortgage that you can easily afford.
2. Check your credit file to ensure that it is correct and complete. They should contain at least 6 years address history and your name and address and date of birth should be correct. If you are not on the electoral roll do this immediately as it will improve your credit rating. In correct credit files are one of the biggest reasons for lenders declining to consider a mortgage application.
3. Ensure your bank statements, payslips etc all have your current address noted on them. If not get them changed.
4. Check out affordable homes schemes such as Help to Buy as well as the usual route. Visit the areas you wish to purchase in at different time of the day and night to check that you really like the neighbourhood.
5. Once you have found your ideal home don’t be scared to make an “offer”. The asking price is just a guide and in certain areas it is a buyers’ market with many properties overpriced.
Jane King is an Independent Mortgage Advisor and regular guest on BBC Breakfast and Radio 5 Live.
If you have any questions on buying your first home or any other money matter you can ASK MOXI.